Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Don't let the bed bugs bite...poor baby

I had to make a light and airy title to this one because I could still tear up thinking about it. First of I would like to say we are a clean home with beliefs in antibacterial cleaners vacuuming dust and sanitization.
Monday night Statton woke up at 11:30 kind of fussy. I went in and gave him back his binky, he stopped fussing until I walked out of the room. Sometimes we just let him work it out and fall asleep. But I thought, "I want to rock my baby." I walked back in and picked him up a second time. He snuggled in and immediately I felt something bitting my chest. I ran into our room and said "I think there are ants in Statton's Crib". We go runningback in and pick up the blanket laying flat across his sheet. We picked it up to find hundred of ANTS!!! I run back to our room and start stripping down Statton. I pulled his binky out of his mouth to find ants under it, bitting around my baby's lips. I KNOW TERRIBLE at this point I am balling....Luckily he had on footie PJ'S, so the ant bites were only(as if to make sound a little better) on the skin that was showing. He had a least 25-35 bites on his neck and ten white and red bump bites around his mouth. He looked terrible. And would you get this I had an exterminator apt. scheduled for 9:00 the next morning. I called poison control, because each little bite is a bit of ant poison. They said to call 911 and have them check him out. Chris was our hero by conquering the ants.

Things I am thankful for:
That I walked back in rather that being the sleep Natzi

Statton was wearing jamies covering his his arms legs and toes.

that there was a blanket down so Statt wasn't laying in the middle of the hundreds of ants, just being eaten by the select few who ventured out on top of the blanket

Bug killing exterminators

A husband to fight our battles in the middle of the night

that Statton was giggling like crazy through this entire event, if he acted in pain it would have been even more traumatic

and last and most importantly ......

THAT STATTON IS NOT ALLERGIC TO ANTS

Babies have died from this kind of thing before and I'm so grateful that Statton is healthy today.
Blessings Blessings Blessings

12 comments:

Jenna said...

HOW SCARY!! We have had horrible ants at our house too. Even after the bug guy came. I am always freaked out this is going to happen. :( Poor guy. Hope he feels better.

Chris and Jerrae said...

My boy's a tough little munchkin.

Enjoy the Journey said...

Oh my goodnes... I would have freaked out bawling. So glad that he is a tough guy and laughed through it all! Good job super man dad to save the day ;)

charlotte said...

poor little thing!

Anonymous said...

That is so aweful! I am glad that everything worked out for the better though.

Andrea said...

Poor Stat-Man, I would've been hysterical. I'm glad that he is ok. Maybe you guys should take that as a sign and move back to Washington :)

Lani said...

Welcome back to the south with the imported brazilian fire ants.... another reason I love the hot south west. They have dominated the south west from Texas to california and they will never be conquered entirely. I've spent hundreds each year and it just beats them back but they are unconquerable and that comes from my buddy who owns a multimillion dollar exterminating company. Ahh, Seattle was such a nice place I bet. It isn't the first time that is as bad as the next couple times he gets bit and then you got to keep your eye on him to see if he is allergic or not. Then the bites form these little zit like pustules that scar and itch like a !@#$@#. Ahh, Seattle was such a peaceful place with green grass, water, blackberries, flowers. You guys are back in the desert-concrete-jungle.

Colton said...

Wow, Sherdon, way to be a Debbie Downer.

Traslation: "You never should have moved back to Arizona. Your kid will probably die next time.

Love, Sherdon."

I'm just kidding. That is a psychotic story, though! It sounds like a Michael Crichton book or a B-horror movie.

Lani said...

Sorry, I've let my own slant influence my comments. Seriously, this is a story out of 3rd world or something.....truthfully, there was a baby killed in Nicaragua on my mission that was swormed by ants at night and they just overwhelmed the baby and by the time the kid got to the hospital it was too late. I am sure both of you are happy to be by family and your families are happy to have you around. The ants were just the welcome wagon for poor Stat and they were just trying to give him a kiss on the lips as their token welcome of friendship and love....I used to drink out of the tap a year ago but I just celebrated 1 year of fridge-filter/water bottle drinking....

The Young Family Inc. said...

What a nightmare!! Leave everything and fly straight back!

We missed you guys on the 4th!!

Chris and Jerrae said...

Does anyone know how to get in touch with the DeWitt family aka "Enjoy the Journey?

-Chris

Dawn said...

wow, that's crazy! Where did they come from??